Designed by Witherdon Young, this 24 metre long arcade on the Strand was built in 1830 and was famously topped with glass domes.
Named after Lord Lowther, Chief Commissioner of the Woods and Forests, when this section of the Strand was improved, the arcade’s 24 small shops initially sold luxury goods and various items but by the mid 19th century they were nearly all toyshops, making this a popular place for children (and particularly so, one might assume, at Christmas time!).
The northern part of the arcade was initially home to the Adelaide Gallery, described as a “National Gallery of Practical Science, Blending Instructions with Amusements” – this part of the building later became an amusement hall and then a puppet theatre.
The arcade was demolished in 1904 to make way for the construction of Coutts Bank.
PICTURE: Lowther Arcade as seen in an engraving published in a periodical in 1832.
2 thoughts on “Lost London – Lowther Arcade…”
Love the engraving! More on the Gallery of Science: https://londonstreetviews.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/edward-clarke/
*please excuse self-promotion*