This narrow City of London street, which runs from Fleet Street to St Bride Street, apparently has nothing to do with Mary Poppins. In fact, it’s named after a bird.
Well, the bird was apparently featured on the crest of the Abbot of Cirencester and in medieval times, their London property – a hostel or inn – stood where the court now stands and was given the name of Popyngaye.
In later years Popinjay Alley became Popinjay Lane, Popinjay Court and, eventually, Poppin’s Court.
The north end of the alley was cut off in 1870.
There was once a relief of a carved parrot over the entrance to the court to remind people of its history but it’s long gone.